Mark Hamilton says...
"Adelaide is a beautiful and livable city. Council should implement an action plan for Adelaide, North Adelaide and the Park Lands, which calls for excellence and beauty. We need to maintain a beautiful city not just one that’s utilitarian. It’s all about our fantastic lifestyle – about preserving, enjoying and building in a sympathetic manner, upon what we have.”
Preserve everything that’s great about North Adelaide, the Square Mile and the Park Lands. Keep the best of the past in terms of Adelaide's heritage buildings and open Park Lands, to use as a foundation stone for our future. It is possible to increase population density in appropriate parts of the CBD, the Square Miles and North Adelaide, while retaining our heritage – it’s just 10% of our buildings after all.
Encourage growth while retaining the livability of our city. This can be done by carefully crafting building height allowances on a street-by-street, property-by-property basis.
Don’t allow rampant development. Rather, allow low to medium scale development where appropriate. Direct new developments to the many under-developed parts of the city. Confine very tall buildings to a tightly defined core of the CBD, to be re-designated Zone X, to avoid a saw-toothed skyline effect.
Take the Rundle Mall precinct to new level of excellence as a place to visit and shop by listing and upgrading all worthy unlisted heritage buildings and uplight them at night. Look to the main shopping streets of Bath in England for a beautiful example.
Adelaide Livability Myth 1: The State Government acts as if preserving our Square Mile and North Adelaide heritage is not in Adelaide’s best interests.
The community strongly disagrees, as we have seen in 2016 with the backlash to the Government's proposed decimation of local heritage listings. Our heritage buildings are only 10% of Adelaide and North Adelaide's built form. That leaves 90% for responsible, livable development.
Adelaide Livability Myth 2: We need unrestricted height limits on Adelaide buildings to attract developers.
Unlimited development rights have in fact widely reduced the city property values of long term city ratepayers and encourage one-off, large-scale developments that increase supply without any increase in demand (so property prices go down) and leave the rest of the city undeveloped. It promotes ‘saw-toothed’ type development.
Adelaide Livability Myth 3: Without development young people get bored and leave for ‘hipper’ cities.
75% of young people who leave Adelaide leave for employment reasons not because they’re bored. (source: The Advertiser 11/12/10) Those that leave are predominantly young professionals chasing a job or more often higher paid, more high profile jobs. P.S. from Mark: They overwhelmingly come back later in life for Adelaide's lifestyle. With globalisation and increased mobility of people, this is a world-wide occurrence. Young people leave London and New York too!
Adelaide Livability Myth 4: The State Government micro-managing the city will make a difference.
The State Government shouldn't try to micro-manage the city. It doesn't have the intimate, highly-detailed knowledge of how the City of Adelaide area works, like Council does. This leads to unfortunate unforeseen outcomes. It should concentrate on running the State and let Council run the city.
Adelaide City Council needs to continue strongly encouraging the State Government to withdraw from council’s areas of expertise of planning policy, development assessment and heritage protection.
Mark thinks that the State Government should concentrate on big picture things like building small scale, smart manufacturing industry; and building the food sector across South Australia to create real jobs.
"All of the State Government Ministers should have a business development role and be continually on a plane overseas selling South Australian goods and services to export markets. Micro-managing the city is a distraction from their responsibilities and is not going to build permanent industry or employment."